Mixed vegetable pulao is a very commonly made rice dish for festivals, parties and other occasions. The aromatic basmati rice is cooked with mixed vegetables like carrots, beans, green peas, cauliflower, corn etc with very few spices. It goes well with any veg or non veg curries.
Here I have shared a very very simple recipe. Since I made this for Republic day, I have added just 2 vegetables - carrots and green peas. You can make the same dish without the onions and ginger-garlic paste. My kids enjoyed this tasty and healthy tri-colored pulao with some butter chicken and tandoori chicken.
* Basmati Rice - 2 cups
* Onion - 1 (chopped)
* Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 tsp
* Green Chili - 1
* Carrot - 2 (peeled and cut into small cubes)
* Green peas - 3/4 cup (fresh or frozen)
* Water - 3 cups
* Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
* Oil - 3 tbsp
* Whole garam masala - 1 bay leaf, 1 cinnamon stick, 4 cloves, 3 cardamom
* Salt - to taste
1). Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan or pressure cooker. Add the cumin seeds and the whole spices.
2). After sauteing for a minute, add the onions, green chili and ginger garlic paste.
3). Saute for a minute and add the vegetables.
4). After about a minute add the rice.
5). Saute for another 2 minutes so that the oil coats the vegetables and rice evenly.
6). Now add the water and required salt.
7). Bring it to a boil. Reduce the flame and cover with a lid.
8). If using a pressure cooker, cook for about 10 minutes. If you are using a normal pot, cook for about 20-25 minutes till all the moisture is absorbed and the rice is cooked soft.
9). Fluff with a fork and serve. I love to serve it with creamy curries.
* This dish needs no garnishing at all. It looks so pretty and colorful as it is. If you want to garnish, then top it with some finely chopped coriander leaves and some fried cashews.