Okra Rice (Okra Biriyani, Ladies Finger Pulao, Vendakkai Sadam, Bhindi Pulav, Vendakkay Choru)
Tomato - 1.5
Okra - 1 lb
Onion - 1 (medium)
Basmati Rice - 2 cups
Ginger garlic paste - 2 tblsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Garam Masala Powder - 1 tsp
Chilly Powder - 2 tsp
Corriander Powder - 2 tsp
Salt - to taste
Cilantro - for garnishing
* Cook the rice with 3.5 cups of water and required salt. Keep it aside.
* Cut the okra into small pieces and pan fry it with little salt and turmeric powder till it is completely fried.
* Heat oil in another pan and saute the onions till it turns golden brown.
* Fry the ginger garlic paste for a minute.
* Add the tomatoes and fry till all the liquid from the tomato has evaporated..
* Add the turmeric powder, chilly powder, corriander powder, garam masala powder and little salt.
* Cook till oil oozes out of the mixture.
* Toss this mixture with the cooked rice. The rice should be thoroughly coated with the masala mixture.
* Finally mix in the fried okra. The okra should be evenly distributed throughout the rice.
* Garnish with cilantro and serve with raita.
- You can also make the masala mixture and cook the rice along with the masala mixture. Finally toss the fried okra.